A Tisket a Tasket
While this is a basket weave pattern, the color choice and placement makes it look more like a maze to me! Making quilts from predominately scraps can be a challenge. I might start with a handful of fabrics I want to use, do my calculations, but somewhere along the way in the process, I sometimes run short and need to move to plan B. As with life, it’s always good to have a plan B, and it doesn’t hurt to have a plan C and D too!
My "handful of fabric" that I started with was the plaid fabric in the basket part of the pattern, which was a donation fabric. My "plan A" was that it would be 2.5" wide like everything else, but I didn't have enough. So, I moved to "plan B" and tried putting it as the center band in the weave where the green is, but it changed the dynamics of the colors too much. So, I settled with "plan C", and cut the plaid strips in half, finishing them at 1" sewn strips, which gave me enough. The fabric I used for the border and edge binding were also scrap fabrics, while the yellow was new.
I donated this quilt and my Red Sky at Night quilt to the County of Ventura, Children & Family Services, via the Children’s Services Auxiliary of Ventura County, in January 2015.
Great quilt and great donation. Liked that you shared the process.ReplyDelete
Wonderful quilt! Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete