Monday, July 27, 2015

Two more quilts for foster kids


charity quilt
Don Diego
June 2015

Don Diego is the 50th donation quilt I have made since I started on this path over 2 years ago. I typically like to finish one girl and one boy quilt and then drop them off at the County of Ventura, Children & Family Services. With the completion of Mr. Blue Sky, Don Diego was donated in July 2015.


Mr-Blue-Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
July 2015

The center section is based off of a standard 16-patch block. I played with the color saturation, making half of each block light blue and half dark blue, with the color change occurring on the diagonal. I also played around with the arrangement of the blocks. It was amazing to see how with a simple rotation of each block, the entire quilt shifted to read either as light or dark blue. I preferred it “reading” as dark blue, and I think it will be perfect for a boy.

12 comments:

  1. These both are just adorable quilts---love them & so will the kids who will receive them! I especially like what you did with the blue one--the 16-patch is such a versatile block. I have many in the works--this one will be on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I too have lots of fun with the 16-patch block. I made one back in November that you can see here, http://jeanswenson.org/2014/11/18/tweedily-deedily-dee/, that was totally different from Mr. Blue Sky! It is such a fun block to play with.

      Delete
  2. I love both quilts. Someone is going to love each precious quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These quilts are gorgeous! What a great way to comfort the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super quilts! I like your use of solids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Solids are nice to use as they provide negative space for the patterned fabrics to really shine. In Don Diego, the cats needed to be center stage, but I also wanted the fun neon-ish fabrics that border each one to "pop", and using the lighter solid color helped me achieve this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful quilts! What precious gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love giving quilts , so far I have give 3 to people I know that's sick but have made all 6 of my kids one or more, 23 Grande at least one some two and working on no.14 for a soon to be 14th g_g

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilts are such wonderful gifts! I am sure your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren enjoy them, since they were made and given with love ❤ a gift that they will always remember you by.

    ReplyDelete