Saturday, March 8, 2014

Quilts from the Heart

I have to say "sorry" in advance. This is rather a long post with only two pictures at the end. But I need to share.

I have long wanted to belong to a charity quilt group. Don’t get me wrong! There are lots of them and I’ve been offered opportunities but I hadn’t found one that suited me! I wanted one that had local ties. I admire everyone who does charity quilts, no matter their destination, but I wanted to support local needs. There are many wonderful church groups and although I know I would be welcome there, I just am not a person that regularly attends church and I wasn’t sure that was a good match for me.

I had been motivated and inspired by Sarah of http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/ and had thought that if I couldn’t find a group that was what I wanted I would review her helpful blog for help on creating a group.  I believe Sarah is even writing a book on that topic.  And then there is Beth, if you read her blog   http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/   you will immediately love her. Beth also hosts this blog.  She does many, many wonderful donation quilts. I’ve helped by sending her orphan blocks and bits of fabric.  I’ve contributed money, blocks, fabric to other groups and calls for help. Quilts of Valor, Katrina victims, and others.  Any time one of the bloggers I followed called for help, I helped where I could. Now tho’, although not forsaking all others. I’m thrilled to be a part of a close knit, hands on local group.

When I moved to Ocean Park, WA I knew there was a quilt guild but I wasn’t aware of the charity group “Quilts from the Heart”  http://www.quiltsfromtheheart.org/ It is wonderful! The people are great! We are fortunate in that we are able to use the Senior Center for our activities. Each person can do a whole quilt, or part of a quilt. We have many who we call “toppers” people who like to piece but never get around to quilting those tops…but never fear! There are people in the group that will do it for you!  Dixie is one of the fastest FMQ quilters I’ve ever seen but there is also Marge and Brooke. And many of use, me included, are happy to do quilting with our walking foot.

Yesterday was a day designated to layer quilts.  This is my least favorite thing to do. But when I got there, the parking lot was full! Everyone was there to help. I have no idea how many tops got layered yesterday but as they say “many hands make light work.”  We had fun! We laughed, we got to know each other and it was like being at camp. We even had a woman who played the piano and we sang old songs as we worked.  Aren’t you jealous?  I came home thrilled to be living where I live and fortunate to have met a group of people that are “my people.”


So am I happy? I sure am! And I'm taking a lesson from Michelle of Michelle’s Romantic Tangle http://mychellem.blogspot.com/ and giving my donation quilts human names. Just as she does. You will be amazed how many baby quilts Michelle does. She is my idol! So, finally, I present Abby, or Abigail, my first start to finish quilt for Quilts from the Heart.



  
Enjoy!
Toni

11 comments:

  1. I find it a wonderful story and thank you for sharing. Glad you found a group that suits you and it truly sounds like you are very happy with them. When I started quilting, I gave all my quilts 'human' names - now I let the quilt speak to me for it's name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great group, Toni! It sounds like you've found your sweet spot! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni, I am glad you found the perfect place for you. It sounds like a wonderful group of ladies. Your quilt is beautiful and I know it will be loved and treasured. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful you found your group. Congratulations and that first quilt is going to be so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful quilting group! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great group. I found a good one too.
    Thanks for welcoming me back!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great that you found a local group that does charity quilting. Our guild and a friend who has a charity quilt group give me a place to donate tops or completed quilts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog and your giving heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a great group! I wish I had a local group to hang out with! I've sent off and given away a handful of charity quilts, but I think it would be even more fun to work on them with others. :) I'm glad you found them. And nice finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful group. My local quilt guild has a large charity part and I always try to make 2-3 charity quilts a year. Ours go to a local house for women escaping abusive relationships.

    ReplyDelete